Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Putz Pondering Corner

Welcome to the Putz Pondering Corner! This section is dedicated to the burning thoughts and questions that happen to go through my head.


Today I was watching the Alabama vs. Tennessee football game. Alabama's starting quarterback is Greg McElroy. The announcers and seemingly everyone else pronounce his name "Mac-el-roy." Now my question is where did that "a" come from? Why is it the general consensus for people with Mc____ names to be prounanced as Mac? I understand in our english language we cannot exactly pronounce an "m" and then a "c" directly after that, so you therefore need to insert a vowel. But why not "Mec-el-roy," or "Mic-el-roy," or even "Muc-el-roy." And that my friends is something to ponder on.

No comments:

Post a Comment